Friday, January 7, 2011

How?

How do you teach a child that gets mad and tells you they know how in a "not so nice" way?

I had made the decision to be a lot more patient with the girls during school. I told myself if I had to teach something three, six, or twenty times, I would. I wouldn't just help with the problem at hand, but would start from the ground up again.

Today, I was helping Hannah with a problem. She had done it incorrectly and was trying to redo it. She asked for help. I asked her some questions and figured out quickly I needed to start over on the topic, so I did. No big deal. I started over. I would say something, then ask her a question about what I just said. She wouldn't answer my questions, but "no so nicely" said, "I know how to do it, I know Mom." Anyway she was not happy with me and I just left the room to stay calm. I believe that by the questions I was asking and she was answering she figured out the answer to the one problem. (We were drawing line segments using cm and mm.) She wanted to finish the work and didn't really care if she learned the concept. I let her finish. When she finish her school work, I gave her five segments to draw using mm and cm. Well guess what...she missed them. I was correct, she didn't understand. So, I taught the lesson for the fifth time. Maybe she got it this time. When I told my husband, he said, "disobediance, respect..." He named the rules she broke. I didn't push the issue...

4 comments:

  1. I have never tried to home school my special needs kids, but I think it would be very difficult. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you stay calm and you politely say. "okay, I am going to be quiet now and you show me that you know how." I have found that when my children get frustrated with me(and I with them) they tend to lash out easier. And when given the opportunity to "show" what they know, and they realize on their own they dont know how, they usually listen better when I try to re-teach the concept. I know with my ADD child who is about the same age as yours, she says "I got it I got it." just to get the work done. I just feel like it is her way of not appearing to need extra help. (especially since her older brother doesnt need extra help. I know that it is hard on G.A. because of that reason. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lory-I think that is what happened here. She just wanted to be done with her work. Actually, my "diagnosed" ADD child took forever to do her sheet, but did it very well. I agree with what you said. She realized she needed help and listened the last time I taught it. Who knows what tomorrow holds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daugthter has two adopted girls. One struggles with not wanting to take direction and the other is willing to ask for help but then has a sassy attitude when you help her. My kids homeschool at my house on Thursdays so I get to participate first hand with some of their schooling. I always remind the sassy one that she is the one that came to me for help and I was helping like she asked. Why would she be mean to me when I was doing what she asked me to do. If she isn't nice to me I tell her she can find someone else to help her get her work done. I'm not as strict as her mom so she will conform to stick with me.

    The other one who can't take instruction is on the RAD side and she likes to be incontrol of everything she does. I was just letting it go and not making her sit through instruction since it was for fun things like art projects. But, my daughter said it was a big issue at home with simple things like writing her T's which she is just learning. She always has a better independent way to do things so that she stays in control. So my daughter says that if she comes for instruction on something she has to follow through and listen. Although I know she will put that wall up and pretend like she is listening to appear obedient but then she will go away and not follow through with the project. Her little mind says she must be in control.

    ReplyDelete