Thursday, June 24, 2010

Things

I have been thinking about a few things the last few days.



I went to a reunion Friday night for the colorguard of which I was a member for three years in high school. This was a very important time in my life. I learned to fight through my struggles more than ever in my life. I was born with CP on my right side. It is mild, but could have been much worse if my parents had not pushed me to be all I could be. They always supported and ecouraged me. If my brothers and I were performing in the half time show, they were always there. They traveled everywhere we went to support us. In marching band and colorguard, you must roll your feet to march smoothly. Well, this isn't possible with the way God designed my body. There were many days my instructor would yell at me and I would be almost in tears. Usually, one of my two best friends would remind him as gently as possible that I can't do that. I believe this experience along with many others has made me a much stronger person. The verse, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" is very important to me. The point I want to make is that God leads us through struggles as he prepares us for the next step or season in our lives. He has prepared us for this time in our lives.



God has changed me and my husband significantly in the 15 years we have been married. We are so different then when we got married. We have changed in more ways than I can even tell you. We were definately meant to be together.



Well, I am so busy in my life with my children and homeschooling and taking care of my husband's business as well as the many other hats we all wear as moms. I think my life is totally normal. Well, at the reunion Friday night, you would have thought I was from a foreign country. A few people were in awe. It is just life to me. I don't want any gratification. I receieved comments like, "Wow, you adopted when you already had three children? What made you do that?" When I would tell them God called us to adopt, they would look at me like I am crazy. Add homeschooling all five on top of that and they thought I was totally nuts!! Of course I received the famous question, "How are your children socialized when they are homeschooled?" I have always been nervous when asked this question. Well, God must have spoke through me because I was very impressed with how I answered. I am not a very good speaker, the words just flowed. The person said, "Wow, that makes sense. I have never thought of it that way. I admire you for what you do." I don't do anything for approval from other people. We choose the way we live to benefit our children and most importantly follow God. I have to remember we are called by God to be in the world but not of the world. I forget that we aren't the "normal" family. However, we choose to surround our family with like minded people. We have a great church family and homeschool group that sees our vision for the family. They are very supportive of us.



The other thing I have been thinking about lately is how parents can make such bad choices that totally mess up their children. Thank goodness for foster homes that can help "repair" some of the damage done. I read many blogs and have found a few that I have really connected with the foster/adoptive moms. All of these children are so similar, at different degrees. Why do parents intentionally teach their children improper things at 5 years old? Why do they force them to watch Freddy Kruegar movies? Why do they neglect them for drugs and alcohol? I struggle sometimes with not having compassion for the birth parents of the many foster and adoptive children. We are very blessed by the girls we have been given through adoption. However, the don't process things like my birth children. I realize that is probably due to their their lifestyle during the first 5-6 years of life. It is so sad. Sometimes they just don't understand what we are trying to teach them. I worked with one girls for 3 hours on lying. We read. She read. She wrote scripture. She wrote sentences on trust and lying. She read other books on bossyness, stealing, etc. The next day, she lied again. I am at a loss. We are going to have to find another approach. I don't believe she realizes she is lying until we "wake her up" to reality. Eventually, she seems to maybe understand.

Even the ortho in our girls is going to be more complicated by poor choices by the birth parents. Foster children have very difficult lives due to irresponsible adults. It is so aggravating.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I too have a hard time having compassion for birth parents. There have been a few times since they came 20 months ago that I have thought that if they did, by a miracle from God, get clean and change their lives I would feel obligated to have some contact with them but after the latest discovery...I will never have a drop of sympathy for them and there is no way they will ever have contact with these children as long as I have anything to do with it. They stole my babies innocence and it will effect them for the rest of their lives. UGH. I have to stop. I am so angry. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and about people's comments. I get this all the time and I just take the opportunity to tell them how wonderful foster adoption is and what a blessing the children are. I don't want anyone to think I am anything special for doing this because this is not about me at all. This is about following God's plan for my life. If it was about me, it would not be possible. There is no way I could do this without God. I know you can understand that. :) But I will say.. kudos to you on the homeschooling. That is not for me. Of course I better not say that because then God will tell me to do that too. YIKES!!

    ReplyDelete