I am praying about what to do next with Hannah. As of now, I am going to get an appointment with a pediatric neurologists out of town. It may be six months before we can get an appointment. During that time I will watch and document these episodes.
I had her speech evaluated today and she was fine. The lady noted that she needed to work on eye contact. That is not surprising. We are always asking her to look at us when she talks.
So, it appears the stuttering and eye dilation are either the results of the fight/flight/freeze situation or a small seizure. Even though the EEG didn't show anything, we could be dealing with seizures. The characteristics can happen in either situation.
If it is all part of fight/flight/freeze, is that dealing with PTSD? Is this something I need to seek treatment for or just keep loving her and continue building her trust and security within our family?
Lots to think about...
The EEG did not show anything, but that does not mean she is not having seizures. It just means that during the time of the exam she did not have any. It could take a very long time to figure this out especially since the episodes are infrequent. I have been through this with two kids and it is frustrating because you know there is something going on yet no one else is seeing it. Be patient, and you will get to the bottom of it sooner or later.
ReplyDeleteCyndi, how did you finally figure out that it was seizures? Did a certain test help them confirm seizures?
ReplyDeleteI could also be a PTSD and?or an attachment issue. A neurologist is the first step to rule out organic problems. If that is ruled out ( and it could take time, I would find a psychiatrist who has experience in working with attachment difficulties and get her evaluated. I find mine At a local RTC and convinced her to take Hope on privately. You and your family are always in my prayers.
ReplyDelete